Ionic Materials is developing innovative polymeric materials and processes based on liquid crystal polymers for an increasing number of applications in the microelectronics, telecom and lightweight structural components markets. We are seeking an enthusiastic, self-motivated materials science engineer with strong, hands-on laboratory experience and analytical knowledge to execute new product development projects. The position will provide opportunities to collaborate with highly-talented people and the autonomy to complete tasks with minimal supervision in an innovative, scientific environment creating breakthrough new products.
The main responsibility of the materials and processing engineer is to complete new product development projects with minimal guidance using our injection-molding equipment. The engineer must be able to design, execute, record, format, analyze, conclude, plan and present all technical aspects of a new product development project. The engineer should also have the ability to operate and maintain all of the equipment resources in the Liquid Crystal Polymers (LCP) Group.
- B.S. or M.S. Materials Science or Polymer Science degree with 5-7 years’ experience.
- Hands-on injection-molding experience with high temperature polymers, and preferably with liquid crystal polymers.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The ideal candidate for the position must be hands-on and must have strong technical experience with injection-molding processes as well as a good understanding of process controls and technical tools used to troubleshoot and solve problems independently. Experience with compounding and film extrusion processes are also desired to provide support to other LCP product development projects. The individual will work with a group of scientists and engineers in a team-orientated, interdisciplinary environment. The individual must have strong interpersonal and organizational skills and contribute to work in a safe and respectful environment. Responsibilities also include rheological, mechanical and electrical properties characterization of injection-molded and extruded products. Injection mold design experience is a plus. Experience in computer aided design such as Solid Works or AutoCad is a plus.
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
- Develop and operate injection-molding processes based on liquid crystal polymer formulations.
- Develop Design of Experiments for investigating raw material and processing variables to meet targeted properties with input from the commercial team.
- Conducts or coordinates all material preparation, product manufacturing, characterization and testing for assigned new product development projects.
- Responsible for recording all technical data in an organized format.
- Formats technical data in appropriate tables and graphs, analyzes results, and draws conclusions and identifies next steps for the project.
- Prepares all information related to the design, execution, data formatting and analysis, conclusions and next steps in a presentation format for internal and external review.
OPERATE PROCESS ENGINEERING EQUIPMENT
- Operate, maintain and optimize all processing, injection molding, compounding, and film extrusion equipment in the LCP Group.
- Execute all quality control procedures related to equipment settings and material output.
- Assist Process Engineering with all equipment upgrades, maintenance and repair.
- Assist in tasks related to EHS requirements for all equipment resources.